About Mikal.FM | Business + Design + Being.
Mikal Lewis // MikalFM is a Program Manager at Microsoft, designer, tinkerer and writer. Currently exploring philosophy and cognitive sciences for new approaches to technology experiences. This is a semi-monthly archive of hypothesis and findings from research and experience. Learn more
- Solving 10x Problems (the complexity theory challenge)
- When a problem changes enough in scale, it becomes a different problem. The attack vector you use to address a problem at one scale is almost always completely different at another. It’s a truism we experience everyday but often take for granted. Take design, for example. To ship high-quality user experiences at 10x the velocity […] Read more – ‘Solving 10x Problems (the complexity theory challenge)’.
- How I Work: Notebooks
- The life of my thoughts and ideas are governed by paper. Don’t get me wrong, I use Evernote, OneNote, iA Writer, WriteRT, Ulysses III and notepad to capture information. But these are for binary thoughts, thoughts that have passed the stages of ambiguity to arrive at a discrete manifestation. In all I have three notebooks […] Read more – ‘How I Work: Notebooks’.
- Beyond Brainstorming: Adopting the Dialectic as a Design Toolkit
- Brainstorming has become a staple in the design and design process toolkit, so much so that it maintains resiliency despite rigorous studies that leave its impact in question. One of these critiques centers on the fact that brainstorming, by removing critical analysis from the equation, effectively becomes an exercise of free association. This application is […] Read more – ‘Beyond Brainstorming: Adopting the Dialectic as a Design Toolkit’.