About Mikal.FM | Business + Design + Being.
Mikal Lewis // MikalFM is a Program Manager at Microsoft, designer, tinkerer and writer. Currently exploring philosophy and cognitive sciences for new approaches to technology experiences. This is a semi-monthly archive of hypothesis and findings from research and experience. Learn more
- simplehuman and Brand-driven Design
- simplehuman is a simple brand with a captivating promise: “tools for efficient living.” I first encountered the brand in 2011, when I happily paid too much for a trash can. The product had an elegance reserved for luxury goods and a substance often seen only in the highest tier technology brands. Where Nest has built […] Read more – ‘simplehuman and Brand-driven Design’.
- What Can “Blue’s Clues” Teach Us About Design?
- Blue’s Clues was one of the first children’s television programming created after the passage of the Children’s Television Act in 1990. At the time, PBS was one of the few sources for children’s educational television that parents found suitable for children as other stations showed programming that was either violent or geared toward merchandise. In […] Read more – ‘What Can “Blue’s Clues” Teach Us About Design?’.
- The First Rule of Business
- Every company should adopt this as their first principle: If the cost difference is neglible, and it saves the company time or resources. Do the thing that is most benefitial to customers. Simply put: Tie goes to the customer. Think of all the debates you’ll save. Read more – ‘The First Rule of Business’.